Hurstbridge & District Local History Group
Based at Allwood Neighborhood House – 901 Main Road Hurstbridge 3099.
Contact: Pam Lawson 9718 2271 email: email@example.com
Formed in 1998 to carry on the work of a previous history group the Allwood History Group, the Hurstbridge & District Local History Group, also based at Allwood Neighbourhood House, continues that Groups endeavours to collect, record, collate and preserve the Hurstbridge townships rich, varied and ongoing social, environmental and built history.
The Groups collection includes historical information relating to the first inhabitants of the district, The Wurundjeri William people – early settlers – the local fruit growing industry and the township’s ongoing built and social growth …… displays of photographs and memorabilia, including a display of found objects from the Caledonia Gold Fields (St Andrews).
A chronological list of events 1840-2015
Inside Our History Room
Hurstbridge and Local Districts history
Hurstbridge was first settled in 1842 by Cornelius Haley, a grazier. The area was originally known as Allwood, after the homestead built there. The town was renamed in 1924. The town’s current name is from Henry Hurst, who built the first log bridge across the Diamond Creek, upstream from the present Monash Bridge. In 1866, Henry Hurst was fatally wounded by a bushranger, Robert Bourke. Bourke was captured and tied to a wheel of a wagon under a tree (now known as Bourke’s Tree) until troopers from nearby Queenstown arrived. Bourke was tried and found guilty of the murder, and was later hanged.
For many years the area was characterised by orchards and nurseries, and in 1912 a rail line was extended to Hurstbridge to transport fruit to Melbourne. As a result of this rail connection, a settlement started developing near the bridge. A Post Office opened in 1912, and the current single lane bridge designed by Sir John Monash opened in 1918. The township was originally known as Hurst’s Bridge until 1915, and then Hurst Bridge until about 1954.Further development of the town occurred in the Post-War years, and electricity was connected in 1957.
The artist Albert Tucker moved to a 5-acre (20,000 m2) property in Hurstbridge in the 1960s, where he lived for many years. A series of paintings from the time depict the natural bushland around his property.
For more images and information please click onto
Useful and Interesting links and Reference