Hurstbridge was first settled in 1842 by Cornelius Haley, a grazier. The area was originally known as Allwood, after the homestead built there.
The town was renamed in 1924. The town’s current name is from Henry Hurst, who built the first log bridge across the Diamond Creek, upstream from the present Monash Bridge. In 1866, Henry Hurst was fatally wounded by a bushranger, Robert Bourke. Bourke was captured and tied to a wheel of a wagon under a tree (now known as Bourke’s Tree) until troopers from nearby Queenstown arrived. Bourke was tried and found guilty of the murder, and was later hanged.
The township was originally known as Hurst’s Bridge until 1915, and then Hurst Bridge until about1954.Further development of the town occurred in the Post-War years, and electricity was connected in 1957.
For many years the area was characterised by orchards and nurseries, and in 1912 a rail line was extended to Hurstbridge to transport fruit to Melbourne. As a result of this rail connection, a settlement started developing near the bridge. A Post Office opened in 1912, and the current single lane bridge designed by Sir John Monash opened in 1918.
The artist Albert Tucker moved to a 5-acre (20,000 m2) property in Hurstbridge in the 1960s, where he lived for many years. A series of paintings from the time depict the natural bushland around his property.
circa 2017 Allwood house
circa 2017 Allwood house
circa 1900 Old Milking Shed situated at Allwood House
The 19th century portable cell lock-up. The portable cell lock-up is historically significant because there are only a few such structures in existence throughout Victoria, historically significant to the Shire of Nillumbik as it was once the holding cell located at Hurstbridge Police Station. Year 2007 it was relocated to Allwood House Hurstbridge.
Shoppe as it is known today still serving the community. In the past was a bank with historically significant as a rare example of an Edwardian one-room timber bank in Melbourne, as one of only two in the former Shire of Eltham. Also because it played a critical social function in the early days of the Shire; and the bank’s relocation (from a site two blocks further up the street) illustrates the common practice of moving buildings to meet the changing needs of the community. The bank is historically and aesthetically significant because it is of a small size and decorated facade with a parapet, and because it is an integral component of a cluster of c1910 and c1920s structures that were constructed after the arrival of the railway in 1912, and which gives the centre of Hurstbridge its special character.
Circa Jan 2021